I’ve never eaten so much damn rice in my life. In fact, I never knew there was that much. But these characters here would eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, mid-morning snack, mid-afternoon snack and a midnight feast if they got the chance. Was a time when I was a bit extreme the other way. Imelda couldn’t get me to eat rice unless it was a milk pudding or in a curry. That was it. That was what rice was for. Potatoes were where it was at. Filipinos however take the concept of ‘staple’ to the extreme. I didn’t have enough with Daisy dishing it up morning noon and night but then I had Miranda joining in as well. Anyway, on that score I’m back down to one woman again, (and possibly a reduction in rice ration.) We put Miranda back on her flight Saturday afternoon and she is now back in Manila. Poor thing. Didn’t want to go. Had a wonderful time here she told us. In a week she’ll be back toiling away in Hong Kong again, human rights only applicable on Sundays. Better not get myself started.

We’ve just enjoyed a high drama these last 25 ½ hours. Sunday 10:38AM until Monday 12:10PM. Power out and most of Dumaguete plunged into an energy-free state. It could have been fixed quickly. It had to do with a utility pole on somebody’s land that was overtaken with shrubbery and wot not. Anyway, when the lads turned up to return the pole to its former glory the lady and gent wot owns the land the pole was on, denied access. Explanations that most of the city was suffering, costing a fortune in lost business, not least all the graduating students who had parties to go to, left our fearless land-owners un-moved. Police were summoned, lawyers were summoned including he who would represent the recalcitrant duo. He explained that he did not receive must-comply notices on a Sunday. So we all suffered in the heat and the dark until Noreco II, the power company, could get before a judge Monday morning. The upshot of that was the issuing of a court order followed by descending upon the man and his wife of half the Philippine army, complete with field artillery, mortars, gunboats cruising off shore, the lot, it being felt prudent to back up the linemen’s access to the offending pole. I love the way they do things here.

The end of the month is in sight. We leave for Santa Fe next Monday. It would be seriously pushing it to hope to achieve Dumaguete to Santa Fe in one day given the need for two ferries and two long bus rides, so we will stay over in Cebu on the way north and again on our return. Makes a wonderful opportunity for Daisy to see more of her family. Also, we will be picking up her #2 son on our return and he will come to Dumaguete with us for a visit. He has just successfully graduated and in need of a break.